Please see full CV
- B.Sc. - Biology, Tel Aviv University (1962-1965)
- M.Sc. - Zoology, Tel Aviv University (summa cum laude) (1965-1967)
- Ph.D. - Ecology, State University of New York at Stony Brook, New York (1967-1971).
- Postdoctorate - Ecology, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, (WHOI) Mass. (1971-1972)
Academic and Professional Experience:
Member of the Department of Zoology, Faculty of Life Sciences, Tel-Aviv University
- Lecturer (1972-1976);
- Senior lecturer (1976-1980);
- Associate Professor (1980-1986);
- Full Professor-(1986-2011);
- Professor Emeritus (since 2011).
- Chairman - The Zoological Society of Israel (1977-1979).
- Chief Scientist- Ship expeditions to Southern Red Sea (1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1988, 1991).
- Chairman - Dept. of Zoology,(1988-1989).
- Dean - Faculty of Life Sciences (1990-1995).
- Director - The Porter Center for Ecological and Environmental Studies (1995-2000).
- Raynor Professor for Environmental Conservation Research - Endowed Chair, (1997-2012).
- Adjunct Professor – Center of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies James Cook Univ., Townsville, Australia (since 2008).
- Member - Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities (since 2009).
- The Australian Institute of Marine Science (AIMS) and James Cook Univ. (JCU) of North Qld. Dept. of Marine Ecology (Senior Queen Elizabeth Fellow) (1979-1980).
- Scripps Inst. of Oceanography La Jolla, San Diego USA (1985-1986).
- University of the Ryukyus, Tropical Biosphere Research Center, Okinawa, Japan (during June to August of 1995, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014).
- University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), Dept. of Ecology and Evolution (2007-2008).
- Center of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies, James Cook Univ., Townsville, Australia (2009).
Tel Aviv University Administrative Duties:
- Dean - Faculty of Life Sciences (1990-1995).
- Member - Board of Governors (1990-1995); Central Committee (1990-1995); Board of Trustees (1990-2002);
High Academic Nomination Committee (2004-2007).
Israeli Academic Advisory Boards:
- Member - Scientific advisory board Nature Protection Authority, Israel (1980-1985);
Israel Academy of Science- Basic Research Foundation: (1986-1991);
Israeli Ministry of Science: Germany- Israel Marine Biology Program (1995-1999);
Israel Science Foundation (Ecology committee): (1997-1999, 2007, 2012).
- Chair - Board of Directors- Inter-Univ. Inst. of Marine Sciences (IUI), Eilat (1995-1999).
- Member - Advisory Board: Batsheva de Rothschild Fund for the Advancement of Science in (since 2012).
International Scientific Committees:
- Member - The Scientific Organizing Committee of the following International Coral Reef; Symposia:
3d ICRS Miami, Florida (1977); 4th ICRS: Philippines (1981);
5th ICRS: Tahiti (l985); 6th ICRS; Australia (l988); 7th ICRS: Guam, June (l992).
- Council – The International Society for Reef Studies (ISRS) – (1982-1992).
- Head – The Israeli Scientific Delegation to the UN Conference on Environmenta lDevelopment (UNCED)
Rio-de Janeiro, Brazil - (1992).
- Member - The Israeli scientific delegation to the Israel-Jordan Peace Talks establishing the Red Sea Marine Park Aqaba,
- Chair - The Israeli Man and the Biosphere (MAB) Committee, UNESCO (1993-2000).
International Advisory Boards and Working Groups:
- Member - The Scientific Review Board, Oil Spill Project, Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute
(STRI, Panama) – (1986-1991).
- Member - The Advisory and Review Board of the Research Institute of the Subtropics, Okinawa Japan
(Coral bleaching project) (2002-2006).
- Co-Chair- GEF/IOC/World Bank Working Group on Coral Bleaching (2004- 2011).
- Chair - Israeli Scientific Committee for Oceanic Research (SCOR) (since 2012).
- Chair - Scientific Board of the Australian Research Council (ARC) Center of Excellence for Coral Reef Research
Founding Editor -“Coral Reefs” (Biology Section) Springer-Verlag (1982-1986).
Editorial Board: "Marine Ecology Progress Series" (1979-1985); "Marine Biology" (1986-1990);
"Marine pollution Bulletin" 2007-2010).
Fellowships and Prizes:
- Senior Queen Elizabeth Fellow (79-80) Australian Inst. of Mar. Sci. and James Cook Univ. of N. Qld.
- The Darwin Medal (Millennium Year -2000):
The most prestigious prize of the International Society for Coral Reef Studies (ISRS) awarded once every four years,
"for life contribution to coral reef research".
- The Landau Prize (2003):
Awarded, together with Professor E. Rosenberg (TAU) by Mifaal Hpais for
"original outstanding research contribution to the field of Ecology and Environmental Quality".
Research Grants (1972-2014):
Recipient of over 50 competitive National and International grant awards including: BSF, ISF, GIF NIH, MERC- AID, EU,
Harbor Branch Sea Pharm, NOAA, BMBF, MED-POL, GEF/IOC/World Bank, ITI; Italian Ministry of the Environment;
Israeli Ministries of: Science, Environmental Protection, Commerce and Industry; and others.
Supervision of Graduate Students:
So far, 47 MSc students, 26 PhD students and 10 Post docs graduated under my supervision, comprising a significant
proportion of the academic backbone of environmental researchers in Israel (faculty members of almost all academic
and research institutions in Israel) Currently I am supervising 4 PhD and 3 MSc students.
Active Participation in Scientific Meetings:
Invited Keynote speaker (15 meetings); speaker in over 100 international conferences, symposia and workshops in the fields
of: Biodiversity; Marine Ecology and Environmental Quality; Marine Pollution; Global warming effects on coral reefs;
Coral bleaching and diseases; Environmental Conservation and Management of Nature Reserves;
Publications (see selected PDF’s in Recent Publications)
Author of two books on coral reefs and over 240 publications in leading international journals of Ecology, Marine Biology,
Marine Biotech, Evolutionary Biology, Theoretical Ecology, as well as general journals such as Nature and Science
(7 publications). Some of the seminal publications on biodiversity, coral reproduction, coral bleaching and nature
conservation have become classic milestones in the ecological literature.