Dr. Evsey Kosman
1976-1981 Kiev State University, Mathematics
1985-1988 Kiev State University, Ph.D. Abstract Algebra
1998 – Present Institute for Cereal Crops Improvement, Tel Aviv University.
1995 – 1998 Department of Plant Sciences, Tel Aviv University.
1991 – 1995 School of Mathematical Sciences, Tel Aviv University.
1981 – 1990 Institute of Botany, Ukrainian Academy of Sciences.
My research interests include:
- Development of general and logically consistent dissimilarity based approaches and metrics for measuring and decomposing genetic, functional, and phylogenetic variability to address a wide range of topics in Population Genetics, Ecology, and Conservation.
- Analyzing structural relationships of operational units at different hierarchical levels of biological organization and at various spatiotemporal scales.
- Measuring dissimilarity between individual profiles for different types of organisms and markers, and dissimilarity based distances between operational units at higher hierarchical levels.
- Population Genetics of Plant Pathogens with an asexual or mixed mode of reproduction.
- Development of Computational Tools for Diversity Analysis.
- Modeling Plant Pathogen Epidemics and systems of Plant Protection.
Author of 97 publications in the leading journals (Methods in Ecology and Evolution, New Phytologist, Molecular Ecology, Environmental Microbiology, Diversity and Distribution, Journal of Fungi, Phytopathology, Plant Pathology, Plant Disease, Plants, FEMS Microbiology Ecology, Biological Invasions, Current Genetics, Ecological Informatics, Theoretical Ecology, Ecology and Evolution, BMC Bioinformatics, Journal of Plant Ecology etc.) with co-authors from Argentina, Australia, Austria, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Ethiopia, France, Germany, Israel, Italy, Kazakhstan, Poland, Russia, South Africa, Switzerland, Ukraine, and USA.
Google Scholar profile
- Kosman E., Cohen Y. (1996) Procedures for calculating and differentiating synergism and antagonism in action of fungicide mixtures. Phytopathology 86: 1263-1272.
- Kosman E. (1996) Difference and diversity of plant pathogen populations. A new approach for measuring. Phytopathology 86: 1152-1155.
- Kosman E. (2003) Nei’s gene diversity and the index of average differences are identical measures of diversity within populations. Plant Pathol. 52: 533-535.
- Kosman E., Leonard K. J. (2005) Similarity coefficients for molecular markers in studies of genetic relationships between individuals for haploid, diploid, and polyploid species. Molecular Ecology 14: 415-424.
- Kosman E., Leonard K. J. (2007) Conceptual analysis of methods applied to assessment of diversity within and distance between populations with asexual or mixed mode of reproduction. New Phytologist 174: 683-696.
- Hau B., Kosman E. (2007) Comparative analysis of flexible two-parameter models of plant disease epidemics. Phytopathology 97: 1231-1244.
- Schachtel G. A., Dinoor A., Herrmann A., Kosman E. (2012) Comprehensive evaluation of virulence and resistance data: A new analysis tool. Plant Dis. 96:1060-1063.
- Kosman E., Ben-Yehuda P., Manisterski J. (2014) Diversity of virulence phenotypes among annual populations of wheat leaf rust in Israel from 1993 to 2008. Plant Pathol. 63:563-571.
- Kosman E. (2014) Measuring diversity: from individuals to populations. European Journal of Plant Pathology 138:467–486.
- Gregorius H.-R., Kosman E. (2017) On the notion of dispersion – from dispersion to diversity. Methods Ecol Evol. 8: 278–287.
- Scheiner, S. M., Kosman E., Presley, S. J., Willig, M. R. (2017) Decomposing functional diversity. Methods Ecol. Evol. 8: 809–820.
- Scheiner, S. M., Kosman E., Presley, S. J., Willig, M. R. (2017) The components of biodiversity, with a particular focus on phylogenetic information. Ecol. and Evol. 27: 6444–6454.
- Gregorius H.-R., Kosman E. (2018) Structural type diversity: measuring structuredness of communities by type diversity. Theoretical Ecology 11: 383-394.
- Kosman E., Jokela J. (2019) Dissimilarity of individual microsatellite profiles under different mutation models – empirical approach. Ecol. and Evol. 9: 4038–4054.
- Kosman E., Burgio K. R., Presley S. J., Willig M. R., Scheiner S. M. (2019) Conservation prioritization involving trait-based metrics illustrated with global parrot distributions. Diversity and Distributions 25: 1156–1165.
- Kosman E., Chen X., Dreiseitl A., McCallum B., Lebeda A., Ben-Yehuda P., Gultyaeva E., Manisterski J. (2019) Functional variation of plant-pathogen interactions: New concept and methods for virulence data analyses. Phytopathology 109: 1324-1330.
- Kosman E., Ben-Yehuda P., Manisterski J., Sela H. (2019) Diversity of virulence phenotypes among annual populations of Puccinia triticina Eriks. originated from common wheat in Israel during the period 2000-2015. Plant Pathol. 68: 1741-1748.
- Barido-Sottani J., Chapman S. D., Kosman E., Mushegian A. R. (2019) Measuring similarity between gene interaction profiles. BMC Bioinformatics 20, Article number: 435; DOI https://doi.org/10.1186/s12859-019-3024-x
- Sun X, Kosman E, Sharon O, Ezrati S, Sharon A (2020). Significant host- and environment-dependent differentiation among highly sporadic fungal endophyte communities in cereal crops-related wild grasses. Environmental Microbiology 22: 3357–3374; doi: 10.1111/1462‐2920.15107.
- Sun X, Kosman E, Sharon A (2020). Stem endophytic mycobiota in wild and domesticated wheat: structural differences and hidden resources for wheat improvement. J. Fungi 6, 180; doi:10.3390/jof6030180.
- Kosman E., Scheiner S. M., Gregorius H.-R. (2021) Severe limitations of the FEve metric of functional evenness and some alternative metrics. Ecology and Evolution 11: 123–132. https://doi.org/10.1002/ece3.6974
- Ricotta C., Kosman E., Laroche F., Pavoine S. (2021) Beta redundancy for functional ecology. Methods Ecol. Evol. 12: 1062-1069.
- Gregorius H.-R., Gillet E. M., Kosman E. (2021) Coherence in (meta)community networks. Theoretical Ecology 14: 395-408. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12080-021-00504-y
- Ricotta C., Kosman E., Caccianiga M., Cerabolini B.E.L., Pavoine S. (2021) On two dissimilarity-based measures of functional beta diversity. Ecological Informatics https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoinf.2021.101458
- Kosman E., Ben-Yehuda P., Manisterski J., Anikster Y, Sela H. (2022) Virulence survey of Puccinia striiformis in Israel revealed considerable changes in the pathogen population during the period 2001 – 2019. Plant Dis. 106: 2823-2830. https://doi.org/10.1094/PDIS-03-22-0568-RE